Natural changes in the female reproductive system that occur after puberty are known as the menstrual cycle. Sometimes, this cycle may disturb and lead to irregular periods (more or less blood loss), also called Oligomenorrhea. A menstrual cycle has a deep impact on women’s lifestyle, work, and habits.
Causes of irregular menstruation:
There are many causes of abnormal menstruation, but few are listed below:
· Hormonal imbalance
· Endurance exercise, for example, marathon running
· Birth control pills
· Thickening of the uterine lining
· Uncontrolled diabetes
· Thyroid problems
· Cervical infections
· Other health situations
Types of unbalanced periods:
There are four basic types of unbalanced periods.
· Menorrhagia and Polymenorrhea (heavy and prolonged bleeding)
· Hypomenorrhea (extra light periods)
· Amenorrhea (absent periods)
· Dysmenorrhea (excess pain during periods)
Menorrhagia and polymenorrhea
In this condition, a woman faces prolonged and heavy bleeding during her menstrual cycle. Different forms of this condition are polymenorrhea (excessively bleeding), metrorrhagia (bleeding between periods), and postmenopausal (menstrual periods after menopause).