Tech-writing is a tricky organization. It's not a really high-profile industry, so there's very little assistance around. Follow these fast ideas, and you'll be well on your way to a gratifying tech-writing career.
- Follow a practical professional path
STEP 1: Start in a group
ACTION 2: Stay only simply enough time
STEP 3: Manage yourself
STEP 4: Manage a group
ACTION 5: Go contracting (depends upon the market).
- Knowledge is your lifeline-- find out the politics of your business. Find someone who regularly provides you prompt, trustworthy, technically precise responses, and get their name tattooed on your shoulder! They usually are the people who've utilized the product in the real world and dealt with real-world clients.
- Develop excellent item and domain understanding-- The more you can find out for yourself, the much better off you'll be.
- Communicate WITH, not AT. Tech-writers do not have sufficient power to get away with interacting.
- Track things (take spreadsheet printout and compose it up on the board).
- Always ensure they know what you're doing. Inform them when you'll be completed.
- Find out who your users are, what they are trying to do, what they are having difficulty doing, and how they desire to be helped. Don't simply tell them what the product can do a help system is just helpful if it deals with the users' requirements.
- Provide a surrogate user screening mechanism for the advancement team-- supplying functionality feedback.
- Work as tough as needed to get good quality doco ended up on time and to budget-- this is how you'll get the satisfaction out of work that you require.